Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Day 2 Spring Tulips


Tulips  8 x 8 pastel  $250

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

Day 2 — After some studio updates (see below) I finally got down to painting. I really like Uart 400 black paper and I like to paint on it without touching the background, leaving a chiaroscuro effect. It's not easy with pastel to keep if off the background, but I have the perfect eraser for those errant smudges. 

I was also hoping to come up with a better title and went down the online rabbit hole of tulip varieties. Let's just say I got lost. There are thousands of tulips and these were either here when we moved here or I got them at the supermarket (I doubt it). This fall I planted 120 tulips and kept a record so in the spring I will know what I am painting.


New year, new back board. It was an agonizing decision because I had my old board for over 7 years. I found it in a dumpster at the Hastings Fire Dept. It has special meaning because one of the men made a fuss over cutting it just the right size for me.  It's 2020 and I thought I needed a fresh start. I think artists really get attached to certain supplies/tools. They become friends in a way, sharing joys and frustrations but always with you. The jury is still out, we'll see how long this one lasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment